|Installed power:||300 MW|
|Total investment:||Approx. $600 million|
|Number of turbines:||166|
|Construction Completion Date:||Q2 2014|
The 300 MW Blackspring Ridge project, located in Vulcan County, Alberta (50 km north of Lethbridge), is comprised of 166 Vestas V100-1.8 MW wind turbines. EDF Renewables managed the construction of the project under a fixed price engineering, procurement and construction contract with Mortenson Construction. Construction began in May 2013, and was completed in May 2014. As a result of the partnership agreements concluded in 2013, EDF Renewables and Enbridge became co-owners of Blackspring Ridge. Enbridge now holds 50 percent interest in the project while EDF Renewables maintains a 50 percent ownership position.
With an investment of about $600 million, the project represents the largest investment in wind energy in Western Canada. More than 350 jobs were created during the construction phase with 20 permanent operations and maintenance jobs. Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) generated from the project are contracted to Pacific Gas and Electric under 20-year purchase agreement. The electricity is sold into the Alberta power pool with pricing substantially fixed through mid- and long-term contracts.
As Manager of the Blackspring Ridge Wind Project, EDF Renewables Development is committed to working with all stakeholders during the development, construction and operation phases of the project. With that commitment in mind, we have established the Blackspring Ridge Liaison Committee, which includes representation from Vulcan County, the Town of Vulcan, the Village of Carmangay, the Vulcan Business Development Office, Provincial representatives and several landowners.
- Continue effective communication between all stakeholders and the developer;
- Understand issues related to the operation of the wind farm;
- Recommend satisfactory solutions to stakeholders;
- Identify potential opportunities for local business and service.
- Presentation Meeting – November 30, 2017
- Meeting Minutes – July 12, 2016
- Presentation Meeting – July 12, 2016
- Meeting Minutes – November 12, 2015
- Meeting Minutes – August 4, 2015
- Presentation Meeting – August 4, 2015
- Meeting Minutes – February 23, 2015
- Presentation Meeting – February 23, 2015
- Meeting Minutes – July 14, 2014
- Presentation Meeting – July 14, 2014
- Meeting Minutes – April 11, 2014
- Meeting Minutes – December 5, 2013
- Presentation Meeting – December 5, 2013
- Meeting Minutes – August 8, 2013
- Presentation Meeting – July 3, 2013
- Presentation Meeting – April 10, 2013
Since 2014, EDF Renewables Development, Enbridge and Vestas have partnered to institute a five-year community funding program with the announcement of an additional five-year renewal in 2019. We believe being responsible in business also means being responsible to the community that hosts our project. By taking positive action in the community and environment, through the financial support of community driven organizations, together we can make life better.
2019 Community Project Fund
To apply for the 2019 Blackspring Ridge Community Project Fund from May 24, 2019 until August 23, 2019 please:
The Blackspring Ridge Community Project Funding program is pleased to have given back to the following organizations for 2018:
- Carmangay & District Historical Society
- Village of Carmangay Library Board
- Carmangay Seniors Citizens Club
- Prairie Tractor & Engine Museum Society
- Public School Betterment Society of Picture Butte
- Rainbow Literacy Society
- Vulcan County Health and Wellness Foundation
- Vulcan Municipal Library
- Vulcan Prairieview Elementary School
Marquis Foundation Video: http://www.vulcantv.ca/shoe-boxes-for-seniors/